So I went to see THE movie this afternoon with my (lapsed Protestant) business partner after a long business lunch. Here are my conclusions (in no particular order):
1. It's quite watchable – time doesn't drag.
2. It is not historically accurate, to the extent that we know the history of that period.
3. If you're a bigot when you go in, you'll be a bigot when you come out.
4. If you aren't, you won't.
5 I understood more of the Aramaic than I expected.
6. Pilate comes across as a bit of a wuss.
7. The guy who helps Jesus carry his cross (excuse my ignorance) looks like my ex brother-in-law.
8. Hollywood movie indulges in racial stereotyping shock horror!
9. The Pharisees are a bit two-dimensional, to say the least, though the main man (Caiphus?) looks a lot like Lenny Bruce.
10. Don't avoid it, but don't put it at the top of your list. Maybe try Starsky and Hutch first.